One of the questions I get most often is, “How do I know how much CBD to take?” There are many variables, such as medical condition, symptoms, pain level, weight, age, usage, potency, your overall health, have you eaten a meal, and manner of administration (i.e., topical, sublingual, edible, etc.)
In this post, I shed light on how to identify a quality manufacturer, special considerations when taking different CBD methods, i.e., sublingual vs. edible, etc., the preferred (most reliable) method to determine CBD dosing levels, and general guidance to begin or change your CBD dosage levels.
Before you consume CBD, vet the manufacturer. I cannot stress this enough. Fancy packaging does not mean quality.
CBD Brand & Packaging
Things to check for in your CBD brand and its packaging
- Package label should clearly state milligrams per dose
The hemp plant contains many types of cannabinoids, phytochemicals and other compounds. Each type of cannabinoid affects the body differently, resulting in differing responses. For the full benefits, go with full-spectrum.
- 3. USA Grown
Get USA grown hemp. It is subject to USA agricultural regulations restricting THC levels to be 0.3 percent or less.
- 4. USDA Organic
If toxic herbicides and pesticides are your thing, then go for it. Otherwise, check your CBD packaging to ensure it’s USDA certified organic AND be sure it states the hemp, specifically, is USDA organic.
- 5. Third-party Lab Tested
Check the label for third-party lab testing for potency and purity levels.
- 6. Co2 Extracted
Extraction methods are very important but often overlooked.CO2 extraction uses highly pressurized carbon dioxide and uses extremely low temperatures to safely extract hemp oil.
Manner of Administration
CBD edibles tend to be longer lasting than topicals. You can consume healthy CBD-infused food products that are prepared in a meal or eat CBD gummies, chocolates, mints, etc.
Things to consider:
- May take 1-4 hours before effects kick in
- Effects are long-lasting
CBD sublinguals are designed to be absorbed under your tongue. They are long-lasting and easy to use.
Things to consider:
- Tinctures may take longer to take effect than edibles or food preparations
- Effects tend to last-lasting
CBD topicals are typically for skin conditions or muscular issues. Topicals include lotions, creams, dermal patches, etc.
Things to consider:
- Mildest of all CBD methods
- CBD effects are not long-lasting but very localized
Preferred CBD Dosing Recommendation
Although there are many ways to determine CBD dosage, the preferred way is based on weight.
The typical CBD dose, based on weight is, 1–6MG of CBD for every 10 pounds of body weight. Then, adjust your dosage, increase or decrease, depending on your level of pain, symptoms, whether you had a meal or not, etc.
Guidance for Beginning or Changing CBD Dosage Levels
(This includes changes CBD brands as potency levels differ among brands)
- Take CBD dose based on your weight, then increase/decrease depending on your needs. (1–6MG of CBD for every 10 pounds of body weight.)
- Record your dose, its details, and your results
- what brand and type of CBD?
- how many milligrams of CBD does it have? Does it contain any THC. If so, how much?
- what form of CBD was it (tincture, gummy, other edible, topical)?
- when you begin noticing pain relief, was it faster than the previous dose?
- how long it took to feel the effects?
- how long did the effects last?
- did you have a meal, drink alcohol, take other medication?
- indicate any other notable changes
Seriously, you think you will remember these details but…you probably won’t. Write it down– it only takes 30 seconds.
- To accurately gauge dosing, take CBD at the same time each day, for 4-6 weeks.
- Be responsible AKA use your head. If it’s your first time using CBD, or you’re changing your dosage, or switching to a different brand, try it before bed or when you know you don’t have anything to do.
Even subtle changes can affect you in unexpected ways.
The CBD Dosage Calculator
At cbddosagecalculator.com is also a great resource to help you determine CBD dosage levels.
Covid-19 has hit the New York area especially hard. My heart goes out to families who have been affected by this virus.
At Jenny’s BAKED at Home, we exist to help people on their journey to wellness. We are donating CBD Ginger Tinctures to medical and healthcare workers in the New York and New Jersey area.
Every purchase you make at Jenny’s BAKED at Home helps us send more CBD products. Please join us in gifting medical and health professionals CBD during this dire time.
Image: Frontline ER Nurse in New Jersey
DISCLAIMER: Jenny’s BAKED at Home shall be not held liable for any improper or incorrect use of the information, service, or products on this website and assume no responsibility for anyone’s use of the information or services. Jenny’s BAKED at Home shall not be held liable for any direct or indirect damages caused in any way through the use of information or services on this website. This includes but is not limited to procurement or substitute goods or services; loss of use, data, or profits; or business interruption. This disclaimer of liability applies to any damages or injury which may be perceived by you, the website user, to be caused by the information or services on this website, or by using this website.
We encourage you to speak with your certified health practitioner or doctor about CBD to know if it is right for you. For more information about CBD, visit our CBD page.