About this recipe
This is one of those dishes where everything is optional, because it’s built around things I always have (and hopefully you do to) in my fridge.
My local grocery store makes their own awesome sausages and sells it loose (no casing), a delicious sausage like a spicy Italian makes the perfect base for a quick and flavorful dinner any night of the week. Combing what might seem like an excessive amount of baby kale into this dish makes it both filling and healthy. Don’t worry, it wilts down to nothing!
How CBD benefits this recipe
CBD is a protein source and so is chicken. If raised without hormones and an organic grain diet, chicken can be very soothing on your nerves. Hemp plants contain all 20 amino acids; which makes it a complete protein chain. Many of the amino acids you get through diet are found in CBD. CBD has B-complex vitamins including Vitamin B6, B12, riboflavin, niacin, and thiamine. This is comfort. It can be replaced with a meat substitute, as well.
This would be great served with some pasta of your choosing, serve over polenta or better yet, serve with our crispy CBD chickpea cake.
Thoughts from Chef Brian Arnoff
This one-pot wonder should be used as more of a guide to an excellent pantry-heavy meal, featuring ingredients most of us have kicking around the bottom of our fridge and cupboard. Starting with a great flavored sausage makes this dish sing with minimal ingredients, and don’t hold back on the basil which I like roughly chopped or hand torn so you get big pops of basil as you eat this dish. In a little more than 30 minutes you have a full-flavored and healthy meal on the table.
Thoughts from Nutritionist Jessica Ruth Shepard
What I really appreciate about this recipe are the nourishing benefits of a meal that combines what I call PFF: Protein, Fat and Fiber. A winning combination supportive of solid blood sugar levels using high quality protein source plus the healing benefits of healthy fat in the CBD EVOO which are anti-inflammatory as well as gut/brain/body soothing and the slower digesting fiber from the chickpeas and veggies chock full of multiple nutrients plus gut supportive prebiotics which are so needed for balancing the good bacteria (probiotics) of the gut. And don’t leave out that fabulous basil! I say add extra!
Quick Chicken Ragu Recipe
- 1 lb spicy chicken sausage no casing, can also use another sausage of your choosing
- 1 tbsp cbd-infused evoo can also use regular evoo
- 2 bell pepper charred & peeled
- 1 onion diced
- 8 cloves garlic whole cloves
- 2 carrots diced
- 1 spicy pepper (jalapeño or fresno will work) chopped charred & peeled
- 1 can (28oz) peeled tomatoes drained of juice, hand crushed
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 can cannellini beans drained
- 8 oz baby kale
- 1 small package of basil roughly chopped
- 4 tbsp cbd-infused evoo can also use regular evoo
- Place a large pot on high, allow to heat.
- Add oil and then sausage to pan pressing it into the bottom of the pan. You want to allow it to brown in one big, even, flat mass. Be patient, this will likely take 5-7 minutes.
- Break sausage up into large chunks, add all the peppers, carrots and onion, cook on medium with lid on, allowing the vegetables to brown and soften, season with salt and pepper. Cook 5-10 minutes.
- Deglaze with wine, scraping all the brown bits up with a wooden spoon.
- Add stock and canned tomatoes and reduce.
- Add kale, return lid and allow to wilt about 2 minutes.
- Add canned beans and simmer 1-2 minutes more.
- Lastly finish with basil and olive oil to your liking.